A rare opportunity to acquire an early 19th Century Grade II listed thatched cottage in the heart of Rustington village. Originally a pair of farm workers cottages, located opposite St Peter & St Paul Church, and aptly named 'Church Farm Cottages', they have since been combined to form one substantial flint faced property.
Currently owned by the Rustington Parish Council this exceptional property has a D1 commercial use and for the past 8 years has been used as Rustington's Museum. Prior to that the property has enjoyed a number of other commercial uses including; serviced offices, tea room and veterinary surgery.
Although offering considerable commercial opportunity there is clearly scope to revert back to a residential dwelling, subject to some relatively minor alterations, and subject to the required planning consents.
Furthermore, in the garden there is a substantial oak framed outbuilding, formerly used as a café in association with the Museum. This offers further commercial potential, perhaps as a studio, nursery or even re-establishing it as a village café. This exceptional opportunity may be best suited to those looking to combine a home and business venture.
Accommodation & Features
- The accommodation currently provides a ground floor reception area, large viewing room, two cloakrooms with WCs, office and inner hallway with staircase to first floor. On the first floor there is a galleried landing, two further viewing rooms, an office and first floor WC.
- In our opinion this accommodation could be easily adapted to provide a 3 bedroom dwelling with two receptions rooms, kitchen, bathroom and cloakroom.
- The property has been subject to extensive renovation since 2005, with new thatched roof, damp treatment works and complete sympathetic refurbishment throughout. Particular features include; oak turned staircase, oak internal latched doors, flagstone flooring to the ground floor, gas fired heating (underfloor on ground level).
- The property stands on a good size plot, in total of approximately 0.12 of an acre, with a depth of almost 120ft. There are delightful landscaped gardens to the rear with well-manicured lawns, raised borders with brick and flint retaining walls, all enclosed by tall timber fencing. There is rear side access via double wrought iron gates and driveway providing parking.
- Within the garden stands an exceptional oak framed, glazed barn style outbuilding, with pitched tiled roof. Measuring approximately 28'7ft in length by 13'2ft, with fitted kitchen.
Church Farm Cottage is located in the heart of the village, opposite the parish church and in amongst the shops, just a few hundred yards to the west of the main shopping parade.
Rustington enjoys a thriving village atmosphere and offers extensive amenities with a wide range of both specialist and national retailers including Waitrose supermarket. The village benefits from a number of restaurants and bars, with The Lamb public house being situated close by.
A regular coastal bus service stops within 100 yards, and Angmering mainline station with a regular service to London Victoria is within approx. 1.5 miles.
Rustington is a village and civil parish within the Arun District of West Sussex and is located approximately at the midpoint of the West Sussex coast and between the county town of Chichester and Brighton.